You must create a profile before you can post
Send email to bill@poetsforum.com if you need anything

Forum Index | Bill's Poetry | Favorite Poems | Book Reviews |
Guest Poets | Poetry and Literature | Modern War Poetry

Poet's Gear
Poet tee shirts

Shirts, mugs, more…

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

The Poet's Forum

Re: Looking For Comments on Charles Bukowski

Posted By: Bill Ames
Date: Friday, 6 October 2006, at 6:32 a.m.

Hi, and thanks for visiting!

I don't know terribly much about Bukowski, mostly because I don't care for his 'art'.

Most of his poems come off, to me, over the top. He tries too hard and doesn't have the patience or restraint to say anything meaningful. He's like the basketball player who hogs the ball, throwing up bad shots when his teammates are open.

His poems are like the ramblings of a guy who needs stronger medication, not any kind of artistic genius. True, many artistic geniuses are manic-depressive, like Van Gogh, but being bi-polar doesn't make one's art any better, in and of itself.

In his struggle to be original and profound, Bukowski comes off peurile, undisciplined and not terribly insightful.

His paintings are even worse than his poetry. At least his poems have a few lines here or there that are interesting. His paintings are just plain bad, like cheap rip offs of Picasso and his contemporaries, without the mastery of the techniques behind them. There aren't many primitive painters that can say anything on canvas, in my opinion, and Bukowski is just another troubled guy who thinks his pain is original. He's wrong.

I truly thing that there are more talented writers right here on this forum :-)

For your demographics, I am a male, 37, and owner of the forum. I have a BA in Western poetry from Penn State University and a member of the MLA. I am an IT Manager by trade, and read and write in my spare time. I wish I could spend more time here, but duty prevents me from visiting too often.

--Bill

Messages In This Thread

Re: Looking For Comments on Charles Bukowski
Bill Ames -- Friday, 6 October 2006, at 6:32 a.m.

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

The Poet's Forum is maintained by Bill Ames with WebBBS 5.12.

Home | About this site | Bill's Home Page |

This page is the Property of William Ames - All Rights Reserved
Copyright © 1996–2014
Poems with listed authors remain copyright of the author