You must create a profile before you can post
Send email to bill@poetsforum.com if you need anything

Forum Index | Bill's Poetry | Favorite Poems | Book Reviews |
Guest Poets | Poetry and Literature | Modern War Poetry

Poet's Gear
Poet tee shirts

Shirts, mugs, more…

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

The Poet's Forum

Re: I knew a woman by Theodore Roethke

Posted By: evan
Date: Friday, 6 October 2006, at 6:32 a.m.

as you may notice, the speaker makes multiple references towards her being very bright. "shapes a bright container can contain" "undulant white skin" "shadow white as stone". as you can tell the speaker is obviously infatuated with the woman. i think he is describing her to be bright as in almost glowing, like angelic, because he thinks she is so amazingly beautiful.

"These old bones live to learn her wanton ways:
and I measure time by how a body sways.

wanton if you look it up means sensual, or lustful. so the speaker basically jsut saying that he wants to learn her sexual ways and observe, and when he says i measure time by how a body sways, its just another image to her body. when a person gets older they obviously wouldnt be able to move and dance like a younger girl.. so he measures time by how good they can dance, and sexually move their bodies.

"I'm martyr to a motion not my own"
basically just saying he's completely devoted to something that he isnt even doing. its all her, and he's just wowed by it.

Messages In This Thread

Re: I knew a woman by Theodore Roethke
evan -- Friday, 6 October 2006, at 6:32 a.m.

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

The Poet's Forum is maintained by Bill Ames with WebBBS 5.12.

Home | About this site | Bill's Home Page |

This page is the Property of William Ames - All Rights Reserved
Copyright © 1996–2014
Poems with listed authors remain copyright of the author