You must create a profile before you can post
Send email to bill@poetsforum.com if you need anything

Forum Index | Bill's Poetry | Favorite Poems | Book Reviews |
Guest Poets | Poetry and Literature | Modern War Poetry

Poet's Gear
Poet tee shirts

Shirts, mugs, more…

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

The Poet's Forum

Re: poetry.com legitimate or con?

Posted By: Rick Boutcher
Date: Friday, 6 October 2006, at 6:32 a.m.

Many years ago I responsed to an invite to send a poem. Now I know I am not a poet. I know that in my heart I would like to one day take the time to write a story, but everyone knows who they are and what their true talents are and where they lie. Me a poet? I don't think so, but I can put words together to create a pleasent reading moment.

Poetry.com took me out of context and began telling me how wonderful my poetry was and how I should buy the book that they will publish my poem in. $49.95 and I would be a published poet! Thank you but I don't think so.

So now I am on their mailing list and constantly get these notifications about how my poetry is going to be read to the poets of the world and how if I pay X amount of dollars can be there and participate in the great galla.

How is it the books they are supposed to put your poems into never show up on the shelves of a book store like Barns and Noble for general public sale? Now think about it, you do not have to be a lawyer to see past what this is. It is a scam that preys upon poet wannabe's. People buying self esteem and putting on a plastic face to hide behind. The world is filled with people with such a need and the people who run this Poetry.com scam have found its place and makes an excellent profit at the expence of the lost souls who now think they are someone.

Could be that Poetry.com does serve a purpose. Everyone deserves to have their dream. Some of us know how to make our dream come to be with our own hard work. But there are others who do not and need the help of something else.

I feel like I have made this into a soap box. Sorry, did not mean to do that. But I feel that if the people who think this is real and are satisfied and willing to pay for their 15 minutes of fame, well then so be it. For the rest of us who make our own fame. . . Hooraaa for us!

Rick

Messages In This Thread

Re: poetry.com legitimate or con?
Rick Boutcher -- Friday, 6 October 2006, at 6:32 a.m.

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

The Poet's Forum is maintained by Bill Ames with WebBBS 5.12.

Home | About this site | Bill's Home Page |

This page is the Property of William Ames - All Rights Reserved
Copyright © 1996–2014
Poems with listed authors remain copyright of the author